Getting Started with Feeding Swallowing Therapy
Feeding and Swallowing Therapy is appolicable to both Adults and Babies. Some adults may endure specific circumstances that cause them to have difficulty swallowing, including operations or accidents. For babies, during development, babies they will slowly learn how to eat and drink. They begin by sucking and then develop to learn how to drink more solid foods from cups. During their development, it is perfectly normal for small infants and babies to spill their foods. This is normal and should go away after some time. However, if your infant continues to make these mistakes, it may be possible that they have a disorder.
At Speechaim we use a variety of tailored techniques to help adults or infants swallow and feed by providing them with specific instructions to help them eat their food. We also provide recommendations on the type of food to eat, how often, and how to help swallow the food so that they can get the nutritions that they need.
Signs Requiring Feeding and Swallowing Therapy
There are many signs for potential feeding and swallowing disorders. If discovered early, we can help to treat your baby easily and prevent any further issues from occurring in the future. Here are some of the symptoms that you should look out for:
- Your baby arches their back during feeding,
- Cries or fusses when feeding (this is of course normal at first),
- Falls asleep when feeding,
- Has problems breast feeding,
- Has trouble breathing while eating and drinking,
- Refuses to eat any foods or drink,
- Eats only certain textures, such as soft food or crunchy food,
- Takes a long time to eat,
- Has problems chewing,
- Coughs or gags during meals,
- Drools a lot or has liquid come out of your infants' mouth or nose,
- Gets stuffy or hot during meals,
- Heavily breathes during or after meals,
- Spits up or throws up a lot more than a normal baby would,
- Is not gaining weight or growing over the period of a few weeks,
Speech Therapy for Feeding and Swallowing Disorders
At Speechaim, our professional staff provide you with a range of methods and techniques that can be used to aid the disorder. We will try a range of all of the following:
- Trying a range of different foods, or adding calories to food to help growth.
- Testing a range of ways to try new foods or textures.
- Interchanging how hot or cold food is or how crunchy or soft it is to help try new textures.
- Using a range of positions while eating. This will help us to find which is most comfortable for them.
- Testing various new ways to handle your child's behavior
All of our treatments will be specially tailored to meet your baby's particular issue. All of our staff are on hand to help you and your baby whenever you should require us. Whether you are at home, work or at therapy, we are here to help.
We also offer Speech Therapy Sessions for:
ADHD Attention Deficit Therapy
Apraxia Motor Speech Therapy
Feeding Swallowing Therapy
Late Talkers Therapy
Social Communication Therapy
Cluttering Disorder Therapy
Picky Eaters Therapy
Child or Teen Speech Therapy
Receptive Expressive Language Therapy
Learning Disability Therapy